Hi! I’m Renee. I am so excited to join the Bella Luna Sleep Team as a certified child sleep consultant and to share my top tips with you!
My sleep story
My journey to becoming a sleep consultant began in late 2015. A year prior, my twin girls were born, 6 ½ weeks before we expected them. They each spent a few weeks in the NICU and because of the routine and schedule, were rock start sleepers seemingly from birth. This continued when we brought them home. We kept the same schedule as they were used to and this helped them adapt to life outside the NICU.
At this point, you’re likely wondering how any of this is connected to lack of sleep. Fast forward to the Fall of 2015. We made a huge move from Georgia to New Hampshire to be close to family. It was after this move that our rock star sleepers became anything but. We struggled for a few months with them sleeping on us. Both my husband and I became so sleep deprived, everyday tasks were becoming too much to handle.
The journey to healthy sleep habits
By a stroke of luck, I found Christine and she changed our lives in a matter of days. After our sleep training, I became fanatical about sleep, early bedtimes, and sticking to schedules, and would tell anyone who would listen about the importance of proper sleep.
How I decided to become a sleep consultant and my training
Christine and I stayed in touch and about a year ago she asked if I ever thought of becoming a sleep consultant. Truth is, I hadn’t, but prompted with the idea, I explored the Family Sleep Institute’s certification program and decided to apply. I was accepted for the Fall 2018 class and after 250+ hours of training, earned my certification in January 2019.
My top tips for developing healthy sleep habits for your children
- An early bedtime is your friend! Children who go to bed too late tend to have difficulty settling to sleep, frequent night wakings, early morning wake ups and difficulty with naps.
- Routine, routine, routine! Child thrive with consistency and routine. A consistent bedtime routine helps little ones (and adults too!) relax and settle into sleep easier.
- Lights out. Babies and young children sleep best in darkness. Even if you think the room is dark enough, see if there are ways you can darken it some more.
- Bring the sound – sound machine that is! Having a sound machine tuned to white noise in your children’s rooms will help them to settle into sleep, put their sleep cycles together and it enables you to have a life after bedtime and during nap time.
- Tired, but awake. Whatever conditions your children fall asleep with are the same conditions that they expect when they wake up in the night or at nap. Putting your child down awake, will enable them to learn to put themselves back to sleep if they don’t have a need.
A little about me
I currently live in Southern New Hampshire with my husband, John and our girls. I’ll always be a Jersey girl at heart! I’m a graduate of Rutgers University. I am so excited to join Christine at Bella Luna Sleep and look forward to connecting with as many of you as possible.
Nice to “meet” you! I hope these top tips are helpful! Reach out to say “hi” via email or on Instagram. If you’d like to schedule a complimentary 15 minute introduction chat, find some time on my calendar.